By Malvika Gurung
Investing.com -- Shares of the rural non-banking financial company Mahindra and Mahindra (NS: MAHM ) Financial Services (NS: MMFS ) tanked 13% to Rs 194.7 apiece at the time of writing, after nosediving about 14% on Friday.
The stock crashed after the Reserve Bank of India directed the company to put an immediate stop on loan recoveries or repossession activities via outsourcing agents until further orders.
As per the central bank’s order dated Sept 22, M&M Financial Services can continue the recovery of loans and its repossession activities through employees.
The supervisory order was released after a 27-year-old pregnant woman was allegedly crushed to death under a tractor driven by an external loan recovery agent of Mahindra Finance in Hazaribagh, Jharkhand on Sept 15, 2022.
"This action is based on certain material supervisory concerns observed in the said NBFC, with regard to the management of its outsourcing activities," stated RBI on Thursday.
In response to the banking regulator’s restriction, the NBFC said that it would not have a significant impact either on its collections or the financials.
“In the normal course of its business, the company repossesses about 4,000 to 5,000 vehicles per month, using third-party agencies and its own employees. We expect this number to go down temporarily by about 3,000-4,000 per month,” M&M Financial Services said in an exchange filing.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Not enough action. Criminal proceedings be initiated against top management.Like 4
Does it change its overall fundamentals anyway, except for the short term impact on numbers.Like 0
but this can't be the reason for the fall?Like 0
Good work. You guys need to be punished for killing that innocent pregnant lady. may ur company collapse in futureLike 4