Investing.com -- Mission Produce Inc (NASDAQ: AVO ) shares jumped 6% after hours on Thursday after beating expectations.
Revenue of $221.1 million and adjusted income of 1 cent a share beat expectations for revenue of $218M and a loss of 1 cent a share. Revenue was down 20% from the same time last year after deflationary pressure on avocado sales prices because of a strong harvest in Mexico, it said.
CEO Steve Barnard said the fiscal second quarter performance was “driven by improved sales volumes resulting from a more normal pricing environment versus last year’s record high pricing.”
He cited the avocado producer’s 19% increase in sales volumes year over year, and sequential improvement in both volumes and per-unit margins relative to fiscal first quarter.
“We are well positioned as we enter the Peruvian season and our owned production comes online in the second half of the fiscal year,” Barnard said.
Mission said the industry continues to expect volumes to be approximately 20% higher in the fiscal 2023 third quarter versus the prior year period.
Shares are up 7.7% so far this year.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.