San Francisco, Dec 5 (IANS) Meta will soon discontinue the "cross-app communication chats" feature that lets you chat with Facebook (NASDAQ: META ) friends on Instagram.Starting in mid-December, the company will disconnect the feature, which it added in 2020.
"Beginning in mid-December 2023, you will no longer be able to chat with Facebook accounts on Instagram," the company wrote on its support page.
The company didn’t mention the reason for doing so, but, as 9to5Google speculates, avoiding regulatory ramifications in the European Union (EU) seems like a reason behind this development.
Once the cross-app communication feature is removed, you will not be able to start new conversations or calls with Facebook accounts from Instagram.
Any existing chats on Instagram that you’ve had with Facebook accounts will become read-only, even if these Facebook accounts are removed from the chat, meaning you and others with Instagram accounts cannot send new messages in these chats, the company explained.
In addition, Facebook accounts will not be able to view your Activity Status or whether you’ve seen a message.
Any existing chats you've had with Facebook accounts will not move to your inbox on Facebook or Messenger.
Meanwhile, Meta has introduced new updates on several products across Facebook and Instagram to help creators make money.
The company is testing a new invite-only holiday bonus on Instagram for creators in the US, South Korea and Japan.
Creators will earn based on the number of reels plays and photo views they receive during the bonus period, as long as the content passes Content Monetisation Policies.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.