New Delhi, Oct 17 (IANS) The country’s leading car maker, Maruti Suzuki (NS: MRTI ) India announced on Tuesday that it would issue shares worth Rs 12,841 crore to its parent company Suzuki Motor Corporation to acquire 100 per cent equity capital in the latter’s Gujarat factory.This is the first time that Maruti has disclosed a value for the Gujarat plant after it said that would buy the plant in July.
Maruti will issue 12.3 million preference shares at Rs 10,420.85 each, which is a 2.7 per cent discount to the stock's closing price on Monday.
“We wish to inform that the Board of Directors of the Company, at its meeting held on 17th October, 2023, approved the acquisition of 12,84,11,07,500 equity shares of INR 10/- each representing 100 per cent paid-up equity share capital (Purchase Shares) of Suzuki Motor Gujarat Private Limited (SMG), owned by Suzuki Motor Corporation, Japan (SMC), for a total purchase consideration of INR 12,841.1 crores (Purchase Consideration),” Maruti Suzuki said in its official exchange filing.
At 10.18 am, Maruti Suzuki's shares were trading 0.5 per cent lower at Rs 10,650 per share.
The share issue will raise Suzuki's stake in Maruti to 58.19 per cent from 56.48 per cent at present.
Suzuki has invested about Rs 18,000 crore in the plant which has been manufacturing cars for Maruti since 2017 and has an annual capacity of 750,000 units.
Maruti’s first electric sport utility vehicle (SUV) will be manufactured in the Gujarat plant. The company plans to roll out six EV models by 2030 from the plant.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.