Chennai, Aug 8 (IANS) The Board of automobile major Maruti Suzuki (NS: MRTI ) India Ltd on Tuesday decided to issue equity shares on a preferential allotment basis to the Japanese parent Suzuki Motor Corporation as the consideration for acquiring Suzuki Motor Gujarat Pvt Ltd (SMG). The Board also approved the termination of the contract manufacturing agreement with SMG.
The SMG with a production capacity of 7.5 lakh units per year was promoted by Suzuki Motor Corporation to be a contract manufacturer of vehicles for Maruti Suzuki India several years back.
The final acquisition price will be decided based on the contract manufacturing agreement.
The listed Indian company also said the equity dilution will also be lower. Maruti Suzuki India will issue the equity shares to Suzuki Motor Corporation equal to the book value of SMG as calculated according to the contract manufacturing agreement and subject to valuation reports and the law.
According to Maruti Suzuki India, its Board evaluated the two available options for acquiring the Suzuki Motor Corporation’s equity in SMG: (i) payment in cash and (ii) issue of equity shares on a preferential allotment basis.
The impact of both options on the profitability of Maruti Suzuki India, the earnings per share and the dividend payment to shareholders was considered for each year up to 2031 based on assumptions, the Indian company said.
According to Maruti Suzuki India, comparing the two options, the Board concluded the issue of equity shares to Suzuki Motor Corporation would clearly be beneficial to minority shareholders and to the company.
Last fiscal, SMG clocked a turnover of Rs.31,852 crore up from Rs.24,440 crore in FY22 and Rs.15,850 crore in FY21.
The transaction is expected to be completed before March 31, 2024.
As per the contract manufacturing agreement, Maruti Suzuki India could buy SMG at the book value.
The book value is about Rs.12,755 crore, R.C. Bhargava, Chairman, Maruti Suzuki India had said earlier.
Currently Suzuki Motor Corporation holds 56.48 per cent stake in Maruti Suzuki India.
Maruti Suzuki India has a production capacity of about 2 million and it needs to increase that to 4 million by 2030-31 and the company is looking at various locations.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.