Lira Drops More Than 1% After Erdogan Threat Against Envoys
(Bloomberg) -- Turkey’s lira weakened as the country’s latest diplomatic spat gives traders another reason to sell the already battered currency.
The lira weakened as much as 1.5% in early Asian trading and stood 0.9% lower at 9.7282 per dollar at 10:57 p.m. in Istanbul.
The move followed President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s threats on Saturday to expel ambassadors of 10 foreign countries, including those of the U.S. and Germany, after they demanded the release of Osman Kavala, a Turkish businessman and philanthropist.
The Man Behind Erdogan’s Worst Spat With the West: QuickTake
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or