At the close in Tokyo, the Nikkei 225 fell 1.25% to hit a new 1-month low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nikkei 225 were Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (T: 4519 ), which rose 2.02% or 82.0 points to trade at 4149.0 at the close. Eisai Co., Ltd. (T: 4523 ) added 1.21% or 111.0 points to end at 9268.0 and Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. (T: 7912 ) was up 0.69% or 17.0 points to 2478.0 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Showa Denko K.K. (T: 4004 ), which lost 5.34% or 175.0 points to trade at 3100.0 in late trade. Ebara Corp. (T: 6361 ) declined 4.68% or 260.0 points to end at 5290.0 and Tokai Carbon Co., Ltd. (T: 5301 ) shed 4.36% or 64.0 points to 1405.0.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 3032 to 547 and 174 ended unchanged on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
The Nikkei Volatility , which measures the implied volatility of Nikkei 225 options, was unchanged 0% to 19.63.
In commodities trading, Crude oil for September delivery was down 1.61% or 1.15 to $70.41 a barrel. Meanwhile, Brent oil for delivery in September fell 1.51% or 1.11 to hit $72.48 a barrel, while the August Gold Futures contract fell 0.42% or 7.65 to trade at $1807.35 a troy ounce.
USD/JPY was down 0.17% to 109.89, while EUR/JPY fell 0.35% to 129.50.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.24% at 92.910.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.