Chennai, Sep 22 (IANS) Factor investing is one of the alternative investment strategies that asset managers are looking at to diversify their offering, said a senior official of S&P Dow Jones Indices.
Simply put, factor investing refers to an approach that targets stock characteristics that drive the difference in expected returns over the long term, said Koel Ghosh, Head-South Asia, S&P Dow Jones Indices and CEO, Asia Index Pvt Ltd.
She said some of the common factors that have been well documented in academic literature and adopted by the investment industry include low volatility, momentum quality, and value.
According to Ghosh, factor indices do not replace market-cap-weighted indices. Factor indices look to capture targeted risk premia following a rules-based and transparent index methodology.
Ghosh said while single-factor smart beta strategies tend to outperform the market over the long term, they also experience periods of underperformance at different macroeconomic conditions, depending on their cyclical characteristics.
Hence, blending factors in a portfolio to diversify factor exposure may help deliver smoother excess return across business and market cycles, she added.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.