By Sam Boughedda
Investing.com — Shares of insulin pump technology firm Insulet Corporation (NASDAQ: PODD ) surged more than 15% Friday after it said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has cleared its Omnipod 5 Automated Insulin Delivery System for type 1 diabetics age six and older.
The Omnipod 5 is said to be the first tubeless automated insulin delivery system that works with the Dexcom (NASDAQ: DXCM ) G6 continuous blood glucose monitoring system and a smartphone to automatically adjust insulin according to the user's need to protect against highs and lows.
The product is designed so that users no longer have to take daily insulin injections and take regular blood glucose tests. Currently, type 1 diabetics either have an insulin pump that administers insulin via a tube or take injections around four or five times a day.
The Omnipod 5 represents Insulet's first foray into the automated insulin dosing market.
"Omnipod 5 is a life-changing technology that we believe will revolutionize the market and the lives of people with diabetes," said Shacey Petrovic, president and CEO of Insulet.
Piper Sandler analysts said the announcement is a "clear positive" for Insulet after previous delays in getting the product cleared.
However, Piper expects the revenue impact in 2022 will be somewhat muted as the product will roll out slowly.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.