Jakarta, Sep 22 (IANS) Semeru volcano in Indonesa's East Java province erupted on Friday spewing hot ashes, and local authorities have warned people to stay away from the area.According to the Semeru Volcano Monitoring Post, the volcano exploded at 9:23 a.m. local time, launching hot ashes as far as 700 meters from the crater to the southeast, Xinhua news agency reported.
"The volcano's eruption spewed a column of thick, grey ash towards southeast and south," Yadi Yuliandi, an officer of the monitoring post, said in a statement on Friday.
Authorities have called on people to remain vigilant, and in particular, avoid its southeastern sector of 13 km and a 5 km radius around the summit to avoid another eruption.
Semeru volcano, as high as 3,676 meters above sea level, remained in the third danger level, below the highest level of IV. Its eruption in December 2021 caused tens of thousands of people to flee home and claimed more than 50 lives.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.