Indian Bank (NS: INBA ) reported a substantial 61% surge in net profit to Rs 2,068.49 crore for the second quarter of the fiscal year 2024 (Q2 FY24), driven by a robust 23% increase in net interest income (NII), which stood at Rs 5,741 crore. The bank's total income also saw a significant rise, growing by 25% to reach Rs 15,929.4 crore.
The bank's strong performance was underpinned by a strategic expansion plan that targeted retail, agriculture, and MSME sectors. This strategy, coupled with an emphasis on digital banking, has set the bank on track to achieve its credit growth target of 10-12% for FY24.
The bank also made significant strides in reducing its non-performing assets (NPA). The gross NPA was reduced to 4.97%, while the net NPA improved to 0.60%. This improvement in asset quality was accompanied by a rise in the provision coverage ratio to 95.64%.
In terms of profitability metrics, Indian Bank saw an increase in its return on average assets and equity to 1.06% and 19.90%, respectively. These figures indicate an enhanced capacity of the bank to generate profits from its assets and equity.
Showing steady growth, Indian Bank's total business recorded a year-on-year increase of 10%, hitting Rs 1,13,3091 crore in September 2023. Advances also witnessed a healthy growth rate, increasing by 12% year-on-year to Rs 4,92,288 crore.
The bank's robust financial performance in Q2 FY24 underlines its successful execution of strategic initiatives aimed at sectoral expansion and digital transformation. This has not only resulted in strong profit growth but also improved asset quality and profitability metrics.
This article was generated with the support of AI and reviewed by an editor. For more information see our T&C.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.