The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ), which rose 13.13% or 21.70 points to trade at 186.95 at the close. Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NS: HALC ) added 6.16% or 35.95 points to end at 619.75 and Coal India Ltd (NS: COAL ) was up 4.25% or 7.70 points to 188.70 in late trade.
Biggest losers included IndusInd Bank Ltd. (NS: INBK ), which lost 7.48% or 67.50 points to trade at 834.40 in late trade. AXIS Bank Ltd (NS: AXBK ) declined 6.64% or 47.45 points to end at 667.55 and Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (NS: MRTI ) shed 6.60% or 478.25 points to 6,769.05.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Bharti Airtel Ltd (BO: BRTI ) which rose 3.46% to 675.60, HCL Technologies Ltd (BO: HCLT ) which was up 1.38% to settle at 1,153.70 and Tata Steel Ltd (BO: TISC ) which gained 1.12% to close at 1,291.75.
The worst performers were IndusInd Bank Ltd. (BO: INBK ) which was down 7.63% to 834.10 in late trade, AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which lost 6.70% to settle at 667.25 and Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which was down 6.56% to 6,769.00 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1549 to 286 and 38 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 2544 fell and 813 advanced, while 131 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 4.91% to 29.33.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.97% or 38.80 to $2,005.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 6.28% or 7.26 to hit $122.94 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 6.33% or 7.48 to trade at $125.59 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.94% to 77.14, while EUR/INR unchanged 0.00% to 83.49.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.65% at 99.32.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.