The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd. (NS: BPCL ), which rose 1.56% or 4.70 points to trade at 305.90 at the close. Hero MotoCorp Ltd (NS: HROM ) added 0.87% or 21.80 points to end at 2,521.00 and Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (NS: TCS ) was up 0.34% or 11.00 points to 3,222.95 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NS: HALC ), which lost 6.72% or 22.80 points to trade at 316.45 in late trade. UPL Ltd (NS: UPLL ) declined 6.20% or 40.55 points to end at 613.65 and Tata Steel Ltd (NS: TISC ) shed 5.28% or 46.70 points to 838.10.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (BO: TCS ) which rose 0.31% to 3,222.00, Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (BO: HLL ) which was up 0.18% to settle at 2,208.85 and Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (BO: PGRD ) which gained 0.05% to close at 210.50.
The worst performers were Tata Steel Ltd (BO: TISC ) which was down 5.24% to 837.95 in late trade, Wipro Ltd (BO: WIPR ) which lost 3.29% to settle at 411.25 and Reliance Industries Ltd (BO: RELI ) which was down 3.07% to 2,505.20 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1284 to 546 and 41 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1994 fell and 1223 advanced, while 107 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 0.74% to 21.30.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.35% or 6.50 to $1,832.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 4.43% or 4.85 to hit $104.67 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 3.92% or 4.50 to trade at $110.15 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.23% to 78.33, while EUR/INR rose 0.26% to 82.43.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 104.27.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.