The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Apollo Hospitals Enterprises Ltd. (NS: APLH ), which rose 5.75% or 261.85 points to trade at 4,816.35 at the close. Coal India Ltd (NS: COAL ) added 4.38% or 8.30 points to end at 197.75 and Reliance Industries Ltd (NS: RELI ) was up 3.81% or 96.95 points to 2,640.80 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (NS: HDFC ), which lost 5.45% or 123.30 points to trade at 2,140.20 in late trade. HDFC Life Insurance Company Ltd (NS: HDFL ) declined 4.81% or 27.60 points to end at 546.70 and SBI Life Insurance Company Ltd (NS: SBIL ) shed 4.15% or 48.70 points to 1,124.70.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Reliance Industries Ltd (BO: RELI ) which rose 3.71% to 2,638.45, ICICI Bank Ltd (BO: ICBK ) which was up 1.04% to settle at 766.65 and State Bank Of India (BO: SBI ) which gained 0.44% to close at 511.65.
The worst performers were Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (BO: HDFC ) which was down 5.50% to 2,138.65 in late trade, HDFC Bank Ltd (BO: HDBK ) which lost 3.73% to settle at 1,343.30 and Infosys Ltd (BO: INFY ) which was down 3.55% to 1,563.95 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1369 to 459 and 39 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 2101 fell and 1192 advanced, while 117 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 2.28% to 19.77.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.39% or 7.70 to $1,978.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 1.21% or 1.30 to hit $106.31 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 1.03% or 1.16 to trade at $112.00 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.29% to 76.51, while EUR/INR rose 0.43% to 82.56.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.11% at 100.88.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.