The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Coal India Ltd (NS: COAL ), which rose 8.99% or 15.25 points to trade at 184.80 at the close. HDFC Life Insurance Company Ltd (NS: HDFL ) added 7.19% or 37.60 points to end at 560.80 and SBI Life Insurance Company Ltd (NS: SBIL ) was up 5.75% or 61.00 points to 1,121.15 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (NS: MRTI ), which lost 6.01% or 499.95 points to trade at 7,814.20 in late trade. Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (NS: REDY ) declined 5.17% or 210.25 points to end at 3,853.15 and Bajaj Auto Ltd (NS: BAJA ) shed 4.62% or 163.20 points to 3,367.15.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Tata Steel Ltd (BO: TISC ) which rose 5.54% to 1,288.50, Titan Company Ltd (BO: TITN ) which was up 1.88% to settle at 2,592.55 and Reliance Industries Ltd (BO: RELI ) which gained 1.67% to close at 2,398.40.
The worst performers were Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which was down 6.00% to 7,813.85 in late trade, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (BO: REDY ) which lost 5.14% to settle at 3,854.15 and Asian Paints Ltd. (BO: ASPN ) which was down 4.53% to 3,028.80 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 921 to 880 and 36 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1655 rose and 1584 declined, while 111 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 2.32% to 29.23.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.88% or 17.20 to $1,926.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 4.44% or 4.59 to hit $108.00 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 4.50% or 4.72 to trade at $109.69 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.10% to 75.73, while EUR/INR fell 0.29% to 84.03.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.19% at 97.59.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.