The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ), which rose 3.91% or 6.40 points to trade at 170.25 at the close. Tata Motors Ltd (NS: TAMO ) added 1.97% or 10.05 points to end at 520.85 and Coal India Ltd (NS: COAL ) was up 1.93% or 3.10 points to 163.90 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Shree Cements Ltd. (NS: SHCM ), which lost 2.80% or 760.55 points to trade at 26395.00 in late trade. Infosys Ltd (NS: INFY ) declined 2.80% or 53.70 points to end at 1867.05 and Asian Paints Ltd. (NS: ASPN ) shed 2.77% or 93.30 points to 3280.40.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were State Bank Of India (BO: SBI ) which rose 1.83% to 515.90, Tata Steel Ltd (BO: TISC ) which was up 1.19% to settle at 1208.75 and Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which gained 1.17% to close at 8008.50.
The worst performers were Infosys Ltd (BO: INFY ) which was down 2.77% to 1867.70 in late trade, Asian Paints Ltd. (BO: ASPN ) which lost 2.71% to settle at 3281.10 and Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (BO: HLL ) which was down 2.41% to 2312.00 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 964 to 838 and 22 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1754 fell and 1531 advanced, while 85 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 0.21% to 17.8175.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.37% or 6.65 to $1819.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 1.44% or 1.22 to hit $86.05 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 1.18% or 1.03 to trade at $88.54 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.30% to 74.394, while EUR/INR fell 0.01% to 84.4280.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.19% at 95.545.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.