The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were NTPC Ltd (NS: NTPC ), which rose 3.94% or 3.90 points to trade at 102.85 at the close. Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (NS: PGRD ) added 3.66% or 7.45 points to end at 210.90 and HDFC Life Insurance Company Ltd (NS: HDFL ) was up 1.61% or 10.90 points to 689.95 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Britannia Industries Ltd (NS: BRIT ), which lost 2.67% or 100.20 points to trade at 3651.80 in late trade. Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (NS: MAHM ) declined 2.53% or 20.20 points to end at 779.50 and GAIL Ltd (NS: GAIL ) shed 2.41% or 3.20 points to 129.80.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (BO: PGRD ) which rose 3.51% to 210.75, NTPC Ltd (BO: NTPC ) which was up 3.38% to settle at 102.55 and AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which gained 1.82% to close at 670.85.
The worst performers were Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (BO: MAHM ) which was down 2.63% to 778.60 in late trade, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (BO: REDY ) which lost 2.30% to settle at 5080.25 and Tech Mahindra Ltd (BO: TEML ) which was down 1.84% to 950.40 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 907 to 723 and 77 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1537 rose and 1275 declined, while 165 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 1.45% to 22.6900.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.28% or 5.05 to $1787.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.52% or 0.32 to hit $61.75 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.31% or 0.20 to trade at $65.60 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.13% to 75.016, while EUR/INR rose 0.17% to 90.4010.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.30% at 91.047.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.