The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NS: HALC ), which rose 2.53% or 15.00 points to trade at 608.45 at the close. Divi's Laboratories Ltd. (NS: DIVI ) added 2.36% or 105.00 points to end at 4,553.55 and Tata Steel Ltd (NS: TISC ) was up 2.23% or 29.00 points to 1,331.00 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (NS: HDFC ), which lost 2.35% or 56.45 points to trade at 2,346.30 in late trade. Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd. (NS: KTKM ) declined 2.11% or 38.10 points to end at 1,769.75 and Bharti Airtel Ltd. (NS: BRTI ) shed 1.99% or 14.30 points to 704.95.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (BO: REDY ) which rose 2.31% to 4,125.15, Tata Steel Ltd (BO: TISC ) which was up 2.15% to settle at 1,330.50 and ITC Ltd (BO: ITC ) which gained 0.86% to close at 251.95.
The worst performers were Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (BO: HDFC ) which was down 2.36% to 2,346.20 in late trade, Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd. (BO: KTKM ) which lost 2.25% to settle at 1,767.95 and Bharti Airtel Ltd (BO: BRTI ) which was down 1.97% to 705.05 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1076 to 730 and 47 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1882 fell and 1411 advanced, while 121 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 2.81% to 24.75.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.61% or 11.70 to $1,933.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 2.39% or 2.61 to hit $111.88 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 2.70% or 3.12 to trade at $118.60 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.31% to 76.34, while EUR/INR rose 0.05% to 84.00.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.15% at 98.68.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.