The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ), which rose 3.21% or 4.80 points to trade at 154.15 at the close. NTPC Ltd (NS: NTPC ) added 2.27% or 3.15 points to end at 141.75 and Reliance Industries Ltd (NS: RELI ) was up 2.08% or 52.45 points to 2,580.15 in late trade.
Biggest losers included HDFC Life Insurance Company Ltd (NS: HDFL ), which lost 4.36% or 24.70 points to trade at 541.25 in late trade. Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (NS: HLL ) declined 3.63% or 84.20 points to end at 2,233.45 and Apollo Hospitals Enterprises Ltd. (NS: APLH ) shed 3.24% or 124.35 points to 3,713.00.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were NTPC Ltd (BO: NTPC ) which rose 2.42% to 141.90, Reliance Industries Ltd (BO: RELI ) which was up 1.98% to settle at 2,579.05 and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (BO: SUN ) which gained 1.52% to close at 840.55.
The worst performers were Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (BO: HLL ) which was down 3.46% to 2,238.10 in late trade, AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which lost 2.57% to settle at 625.80 and Bajaj Finserv Ltd (BO: BJFS ) which was down 2.19% to 11,114.45 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1052 to 748 and 65 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1713 fell and 1478 advanced, while 140 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 2.10% to 21.90.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.30% or 5.50 to $1,826.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.78% or 0.87 to hit $112.63 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.67% or 0.76 to trade at $114.56 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.07% to 79.03, while EUR/INR rose 0.12% to 83.16.
The US Dollar Index Futures was unchanged 0.00% at 104.26.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.