The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Hero MotoCorp Ltd (NS: HROM ), which rose 5.13% or 131.80 points to trade at 2701.50 at the close. Grasim Industries Ltd (NS: GRAS ) added 3.31% or 61.40 points to end at 1918.70 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ) was up 3.23% or 5.20 points to 166.25 in late trade.
Biggest losers included HCL Technologies Ltd (NS: HCLT ), which lost 5.87% or 78.45 points to trade at 1258.75 in late trade. HDFC Bank Ltd (NS: HDBK ) declined 1.53% or 23.65 points to end at 1521.50 and Britannia Industries Ltd (NS: BRIT ) shed 1.26% or 46.90 points to 3665.15.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were UltraTech Cement Ltd (BO: ULTC ) which rose 2.78% to 7867.90, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (BO: MAHM ) which was up 2.19% to settle at 900.25 and Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which gained 2.08% to close at 8250.00.
The worst performers were HCL Technologies Ltd (BO: HCLT ) which was down 5.89% to 1258.80 in late trade, HDFC Bank Ltd (BO: HDBK ) which lost 1.53% to settle at 1521.55 and AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which was down 1.25% to 712.55 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1143 to 701 and 34 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 2213 rose and 1276 declined, while 130 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 1.27% to 16.7650.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.17% or 3.15 to $1819.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 0.02% or 0.02 to hit $83.28 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 0.24% or 0.21 to trade at $85.85 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.20% to 74.236, while EUR/INR rose 0.15% to 84.7620.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.03% at 95.132.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.