India Indices Rise Ahead of Fed Policy Outcome; Financials, Banks Shine
By Malvika Gurung
Investing.com -- Indian equity benchmark indices made a higher opening on Wednesday ahead of the much-awaited US Federal Reserve’s interest rate decision tonight, following an overnight rally on Wall Street and positive cues from Asian peers, while oil prices declined.
Headlines Nifty50 gained 0.24% to 17,100 mark to 17,149.35 and Sensex rose 129.88 points or 0.22% at the time of writing.
The market fear barometer India VIX declined over 5% in early trade and slid 1.2% while writing to 14.5 levels.
Gains across Dalal Street were led by financial, banking and metal stocks.
Barring Nifty Media , all the sectoral indices under the Nifty umbrella traded with gains, led by a 1.7% jump in Nifty PSU Bank , while Nifty Metal surged almost 1%. Nifty Bank was up 0.1%.
On the Nifty pack, Bajaj Finance (NS: BJFN ), Bajaj Finserv (NS: BJFS ), Hindalco (NS: HALC ), Tata Consumer, HDFC Life Insurance (NS: HDFL ), SBI Life Insurance (NS: SBIL ) and IndusInd Bank (NS: INBK ) were among the top gainers, while Coal India (NS: COAL ), Bharat Petroleum (NS: BPCL ) and Apollo Hospitals (NS: APLH ) exerted pressure.
Key US contracts Dow Futures traded flat and Nasdaq 100 Futures gained 0.11%.
Attention across domestic as well as global markets has shifted to the US FOMC interest rate decision due later on Wednesday, while Fed Chair Jerome Powell’s press conference will be largely looked into for indications on the central bank’s stance in tackling the banking turmoil while balancing inflation.
Read Also: Fed Decision, Powell’s Speech Timing; Investing.com Rate Hike Forecasts
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or