New Delhi, Dec 8 (IANS) The government has banned exports of onion till March next year in order to increase domestic availability so that prices do not spin out of control."The export policy for onions is amended from free to prohibited till March 31, 2024," the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGTF) said in a notification.
The DGFT, however, said that the exports of onion will be allowed on the basis of permission granted by the government to other countries based on their request.
It added that shipments of onion, whose loading had commenced before this notification, are allowed to be exported.
Further, in cases where shipping bill is filed and vessels have already berthed and anchored in Indian ports for loading of onion and their rotation number has been allocated before this notification, that shipment is also allowed for exports.
The government had earlier imposed a minimum export price of $800 per metric tonne, until December 31, 2023, to discourage exports, in an effort to curb spiraling prices.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.