- Thodex once stood as one of Turkey’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges, but it abruptly went offline in April 2021.
- The collapse of the exchange had a profound impact on Turkish citizens, as cryptocurrency served as a hedge against skyrocketing inflation and the significant devaluation of the national currency, the lira.
Thodex once stood as one of Turkey’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges, but it abruptly went offline in April 2021. Simultaneously, Faruk Özer disappeared, leaving over 400,000 users in the dark. Furthermore, these users had no access to their deposits totaling around $2 billion in cryptocurrencies. Özer managed to escape to Albania, but authorities arrested him in August 2022 following an Interpol red notice.
Record-breaking sentence for crypto fraud By April 2023, authorities extradited Özer to Turkey, where the police promptly detained him, bringing seven charges against him. These charges included establishing and managing an organization with the intent to commit a crime and being a member of a criminal organization. The charges also included fraud involving the use of information systems linked to banks or credit institutions, fraud against merchants, company executives, and cooperative managers, and money laundering involving assets derived from criminal activities.
Upon uncovering the case, authorities imprisoned Özer’s brother, sister, and four other high-ranking employees. They also detained at least 83 individuals as part of the investigation. The subsequent trial involved 21 defendants, who faced the potential for a cumulative prison sentence of up to 40,564 years.
On Thursday 7 Spetember, the Anatolian 9th Heavy Penal Court announced its verdict, acquitting 16 of the 21 defendants. It also released four of the seven incarcerated individuals due to a lack of compelling evidence. The remaining defendants received varying prison terms for their involvement in various criminal activities related to the Thodex collapse.
The collapse of Thodex had a profound impact on Turkish citizens, as cryptocurrency had served as a hedge against skyrocketing inflation and the significant devaluation of the national currency, the lira.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.