Chennai, Sep 30 (IANS) Ford India Private Ltd and the Chennai Ford Employees Union (CFEU) on Friday inked the Settlement Agreement or the deal for severance package, said the company.
The company has also announced a `sign-off' bonus of one month salary in addition to the lump sum severance package.
US automobile major Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F ) last year decided to shut down its two plants -one near here and the other in Gujarat.
The plant near here has 2,592 permanent employees.
According to Balasundaram Radhakrishnan, Transformation Office, Ford India, the final settlement package (an average equivalent of 140 days of gross wages per completed year of service and additional Rs 1.5 lakh lumpsum per employee) signed on Friday translates to an average of about 5.2 years/62-month of salary for each employee (from a minimum of 4.1 years i.e., 49 months to a maximum of 9 years i.e., 108 months).
The cumulative severance for each employee will range from a minimum amount of Rs 34.5 lakh and a maximum cap of Rs 86.5 lakh, the company had said earlier.
The last date of employment for all employees will be September 30 and Ford India is notifying employees of the next steps and looks forward to completing the exit formalities.
With Diwali to be celebrated next month, Ford India, as a goodwill measure, has also decided to pay an additional amount equivalent to one month of gross wages as a sign-on or sign-off benefit for employees who complete the exit process by October 14.
In September 2021, Ford India announced its decision to wind down vehicle assembly in Gujarat's Sanand by the fourth quarter of 2021, and vehicle and engine manufacturing in Chennai by the second quarter of 2022.
Ford India had set up four plants in the country -- vehicle and engine plants in Chennai and Sanand.
The company sold its Gujarat facility for Rs 725.70 crore to Tata Passenger Electric Mobility Ltd.
The plant in Sanand includes the entire land and buildings, the vehicle manufacturing plant, along with its machinery and equipment, and transfer of all eligible employees of Ford India's vehicle manufacturing operations.
Ford India will continue to operate its powertrain manufacturing facility by leasing back the land and buildings of the powertrain manufacturing plant from Tata Passenger Electric.
Tata Passenger Electric has agreed to offer employment to the eligible employees of Ford India's powertrain unit when the latter stops such operations.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.