By Aditya Raghunath
Nifty Bank closed up 1.74%. AXIS Bank Ltd (NS: AXBK ), up 4.19% led the gainer's list on Nifty followed by JSW Steel Ltd (NS: JSTL ) (up 3.4%), UltraTech Cement Ltd (NS: ULTC ) (up 3.33%) and ICICI Bank Ltd (NS: ICBK ) (up 3.29%). The metal index gained 2.01% with Steel Authority of India Ltd. (NS: SAIL ) gaining the most at 8.06%. Vedanta Ltd (NS: VDAN ) also gained 3.84% after the government gave it permission to open up its plant in Tamil Nadu (NS: TNNP ), albeit only for the purpose of manufacturing oxygen.
Mumbai’s COVID numbers have shown significant improvement and the government has approved multiple vaccines for the country. It has also helped that many countries are sending help to India. Both these factors have boosted sentiment.
In Asia, Nikkei 225 and KOSPI 50 gained 0.36% and 0.99% while the Shanghai Composite closed flat. In Europe, FTSE 100 and Lyxor UCITS CAC 40 (DR) D-EUR (PA: CAC ) are trading flat while DAX is down 0.2%.
Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA )is expected to report a 66% rise in revenue after the close, but stocks are seen opening quietly ahead of megacap tech earnings and the Federal Reserve meeting later this week. Dow Jones 30 Futures and S&P 500 Futures are trading flat ahead of the market opening while Nasdaq 100 Futures are down 0.33%.
Crude oil has fallen below $62 levels and is now at $61.2.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.