(Bloomberg) -- Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell predicted U.S. students who have been forced to cope with the Covid-19 pandemic will become an “extraordinary generation” that will mature faster and have a bigger impact on society.
“This is an extraordinary time, and I believe that it will result in an extraordinary generation,” Powell said in prepared remarks for a town hall Tuesday with educators and students. “You will see the world differently than your predecessors. You have been forced, sooner than most people, to consider what in life is truly important.”
Powell didn’t address the outlook for the U.S. economy or monetary policy in his remarks. He will have another opportunity next week, when policy makers will meet Aug. 26-28 at Jackson Hole, Wyoming, for the central bank’s most prominent annual conference.
“This is a historical inflection point, and this generation of students is in a position to turn its lessons into profound tools of change,” Powell said.
The Fed chair offered high praise to American teachers, who have had to restructure their teaching methods during Covid-19. “It is the highest call within the higher calling of public service.”
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.