FedEx soars most in 9 months under Raj Subramaniam: Report
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) The shares of FedEx Corp (NYSE: FDX ), led by Indian-origin CEO Raj Subramaniam, jumped the most in nine months beating Wall Street's earnings estimate in the third quarter.
The upswing came after the company boosted its profit outlook, signalling efforts to cut costs are helping counter a decline in package volume, a Bloomberg report said.
Stating that its third-quarter profit topped Wall Street's expectations, FedEx revealed that adjusted earnings this fiscal year will be $14.60 to $15.20 a share -- up from a prior forecast of no more than $14.
Analysts were expecting $13.57 on average, according to estimates compiled by Bloomberg.
"We've continued to move with urgency to improve efficiency, and our cost actions are taking hold, driving an improved outlook," Chief Executive Officer Raj Subramaniam said in a statement. The shares of the Memphis, Tennessee-based company surged 11 per cent at 9:30 am on Friday in New York and the stock climbed 18 per cent this year through Thursday's close, well ahead of the S&P 500 Index 's increase.
Subramaniam said last month that the company had reduced its US headcount by about 12,000 positions since June 2022. He further said that the company saved $1.2 billion on total enterprise costs year over year. The cost-saving plans of the company with an annual revenue of USD93 billion, included cutting flights and grounding planes, reducing office space, and making adjustments to the Ground unit in pick-up and delivery.
Subramaniam was appointed the President and CEO of the US-based multinational transportation and courier delivery giant in 2022.
Thiruvananthapuram-born Subramaniam is a product of IIT Bombay, and has more than 30 years of global experience across strategy and operations at FedEx.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or