Hyderabad, Sep 4 (IANS) Telangana's minister for industry and information technology K.T. Rama Rao on Sunday said during the last eight years India's debt rose by Rs 100 lakh crore.
He claimed that every Indian has a debt of Rs 1.25 lakh. His tweet on Sunday was apparently in response to Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman's statement that every child born in Telangana carries a debt of Rs.1.25 lakh.
The Central minister, during her three-day visit to Zaheerabad Lok Sabha constituency under BJP's 'Parliament Pravas Yojana', had slammed the state government for raising debts.
Rama Rao, who is also working president of Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), tweeted 'Madam FM waxes eloquent on Fiscal prudence; Till 2014, in 67 years 14 Prime Ministers of India together have raised a debt of Rs. 56 Lakh Crores Then came PM Modi Ji; in the last 8 years alone India's debt incremented by Rs.100 Lakh Crores Every Indian has a debt of Rs.1.25 Lakh"
KTR, as Rama Rao is popularly known, pointed out that per capita income of Telangana in 2022 is Rs 2.78 lakh while the national average per capita income is Rs 1.49 lakh.
The minister said while the debt to GSDP ratio of Telangana is 23.5 per cent, lowest at 23rd among the 28 Indian states, the nation's debt to GDP ratio is 59 per cent.
Citing Reserve Bank of India (RBI) report of October 2021, KTR said Telangana with 2.5 per cent of Indian population contributes 5.0 per cent to India's GDP.
He remarked that the country needs double impact governance and not futile double engines. He said if only BJP states had performed on par with Telangana, India would now be a $4.6 Trillion economy.
Sitharaman had come down heavily on the TRS government for raising debts beyond FRBM limits and claimed that every child born in the state carries Rs 1.25 lakh debt burden.
She said because of the huge debts, Telangana's revenue surplus budget had slipped to a revenue deficit budget.
She said the state was raising more debts than approved in the Budget. She claimed that the Assembly was being kept in the dark about the debts raised outside. She said all the debts were not being included in the Budget.
The central minister had argued that the Centre has the right to question the state on debts.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
If you will post the same on social media people will boycott your page because the can’t see the reality how our nation is under such debt in last 8 yearsLike 0
Don't put corrupt politicians and businessman's burden on Aam janta.Like 0
not every indians.. its the politicians and corrupt men who take loan and fly away. and all burden comes on public who is not at all responsible for this debtLike 1
How much assets india have any one has quantified It must me more than 1.25 lakhs If we make balance sheet it should have assets and liabilities to assess the positionLike 0