EU Approves New Sanctions as Russian Attack on Rail Station Kills Over 30
By Geoffrey Smith
Investing.com -- The European Union officially confirmed its latest round of sanctions on Russia on Friday, taking its first tentative steps to ban Russian energy sales across the continent.
The measures, which were proposed at a summit meeting earlier in the week, include a ban on Russian coal imports, albeit only from August. The timeline was pushed out after opposition from Germany, which says it cannot adapt immediately to a sudden stop in Russian energy deliveries.
The news came on a day when over 30 civilians were killed and more than 100 injured when artillery shells hit the railroad station at Kramatorsk in eastern Ukraine. The region has been earmarked by Russia's Defense Ministry as the top priority for conquest in the wake of its defeat around the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv. Kramatorsk is located in the part of the region of Donetsk which stayed under Ukrainian control after Russian proxies set up their own self-declared states in Donetsk and neighboring Luhansk in 2014.
The attack happened as Ukrainian authorities were trying to evacuate as much of the town's civilian population as possible, in anticipation of a fresh assault on the region by Russian forces.
Shrapnel of an Iskander ballistic missile was recovered at the site of the attack.
Reports quoted Oleksandr Kamyshin, the head of Ukraine's railroad operator Ukrzaliznytsia, as saying that a Russian airstrike near the town of Barvinkove had hit the only Ukrainian-controlled exit route from the cities of Slovyansk, Kramatorsk, and Lyman, stalling evacuations from the region.
The UN estimates that over 10 million Ukrainians - more than a quarter of the country's population - have been displaced by Russia's invasion. Attempts to establish 'humanitarian corridors' to enable the evacuation of civilians have been repeatedly disrupted by hostilities.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
I invested $5000 with expert mr Henry Anderson Fx on Face📄book and I made huge profit of $25200 in just one week.Like 1
Do you wish to earn consistent income by trading crypto/Forex, here is a professional trader in crypto/Forex trading investment that can manage for individuals/corporate and generate profits on daily/weekly basis. Write 👉Trisha Donald on face📈book and via her Insta💢gram page👉trishadonald_official_fxtradeLike 3
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or