Ethiopian govt to send funds to conflict-affected Tigray region
Addis Ababa, Feb 6 (IANS) The Ethiopian government said that it will send about $93 million to Mekele, the capital of Tigray region, as it has begun restoring banking services to the conflict-affected region.
The National Bank of Ethiopia will send 5 billion birrs to Mekele starting from Monday, Xinhua news agency quoted Redwan Hussein, National Security Advisor to Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, as saying.
Last week, Ahmed met leaders of the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) for the first time since the two-year conflict nded late last year with a peace deal.
The second most populous nation in Africa has seen a devastating conflict between government-allied troops and forces loyal to the TPLF since November 2020, which left thousands dead and millions in urgent need of humanitarian assistance.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or