By Yasin Ebrahim
Investing.com -- The euro slipped against the dollar Friday as investors bet that the European Central Bank is unlikely to throw caution to the wind on rate hikes despite data showing inflation swelled to a record.
EUR/USD fell 0.48% to $1.0432.
Euro area inflation rose by a record 8.6% in June, above expectations for an 8.4% rise.
But the upside surprise isn’t likely to alter the ECB’s rate hike course “as the majority on the monetary policy council seems to prefer a cautious start,” Commerzbank said in a note ahead of the data.
The European Central Bank is preparing to deliver its first rate hike in 11 years later this month, with investors betting on a 25 basis points rather than 50 basis points rate hike.
The ECB has been battling above-trend inflation, driven by a surge in energy prices, that has many concerned that a recession is more likely than not.
But ECB president Christine Lagarde downplayed these fears earlier this week at the Sintra Forum.
While acknowledging that the central bank has “markedly revised down” its forecasts for growth in the next two years, Lagarde said the ECB is “still expecting positive growth rates due to the domestic buffers against the loss of growth momentum.”
Yet many believe the central bank will have to pivot to steeper pace of hikes later this year should the eurozone experience another energy-infused upside surprise in inflation.
“If the supply of Russian natural gas to the euro area is squeezed significantly further by the time of that [September] meeting, the inflation outlook will be much darker too, perhaps prompting an even bigger rate hike then and additional aggressive tightening beyond,” Daiwa Capital Markets said in a note.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Bitcoin has beaten every other tradable assets so far and mr Henry has been a major help to me in understanding the market better and making the best choice in trading. Reach him on Face📄book 👉 Henry Anderson FxLike 1
I invested $5000 with expert mr Henry Anderson Fx on Face📄book and I made huge profit of $25200 in just one week.Like 1
I have not encountered any pending withdrawals when trading with Daviesmurray_ crypto _ trader 🅸🅽🆂🆃🅰🅶🆁🅰🅼i recommend 🤙Unante to start trading with himLike 0
Simple Lagarde Madam had invested heavily on stocks. She is not willing to loose her moneyLike 0