By Malvika Gurung
Investing.com -- Leading Indian stock indices made a strong opening on Friday, following a risk rally in the overnight Wall Street session as banking heavyweights like JP Morgan Chase (NYSE: JPM ) and Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS ) stepped in to rescue the embattled First Republic Bank.
However, domestic benchmark indices lost their early shine and gave up gains, then rising again later in the session. Nifty50 rose 0.45% to 17,061.95 levels while writing and Sensex gained 212.3 points or 0.37%.
The market fear barometer India VIX fell almost 7% to 15.1 levels on Friday.
Gains on Dalal Street were led majorly by IT and consumer durable stocks, while auto stocks exerted pressure.
Heavyweights Infosys (NS: INFY ), HCL Tech (NS: HCLT ), Coal India (NS: COAL ), HDFC Life, UltraTech, LT and UPL (NS: UPLL ) led the gains on Nifty, while ITC, Maruti (NS: MRTI ), Eicher Motors (NS: EICH ), Adani Ports, Sun Pharma (NS: SUN ) and Hero Moto were the top losers.
Add Chart to Comment
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Only English comments will be allowed.