D-St Carnage! Nifty Hits 4-Month Low, Investor Wealth Erodes, VIX Soars 20%
By Malvika Gurung
Investing.com -- The domestic market is witnessing a bloodbath on Friday intraday trade, extending the previous session’s fall ahead of the Union Budget and Federal Reserve’s monetary policy action next week.
The benchmark index Nifty50 plunged 1.76% while writing, to 17,576.6 points, sliding under the 17,600 mark and hitting a four-month low of 17,531.2 points on Friday.
The 30-scrip index Sensex crashed over 1,000 points in the afternoon session, tumbling 1.71% or 1,102 points at the time of writing, while the market fear gauge India VIX rallied 20.45% to 17.65 levels, zooming over the 18-mark in the session today.
Investor wealth on Dalal Street was eroded by over 8 lakh crore in the intraday session. Bank and financial stocks were hit the most on Friday, along with the 10 listed stocks owned by the Adani Group.
At 1:30 pm, Nifty PSU Bank crashed 5.64%, led by Bank of Baroda (NS: BOB ) and Union Bank of India (NS: UNBK ), while Nifty Bank and Nifty Metal plummeted 3.12% and 4.12%, respectively. Nifty Realty hit a 6-month low.
7 out of the 10 listed Adani Group stocks hit 5-20% lower circuits on Friday’s session, with Adani Ports and SEZ (NS: APSE ) and Adani Enterprises (NS: ADEL ) slashing upto 20% and pulling the Nifty pack lower.
Read Also: Adani Stocks Fry-Day: Adani Stocks Hit Upto 20% Lower Circuits on Hindenburg Claims
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
it's raining money in Adani...once a lifetime opportunityLike 3
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or