By Malvika Gurung
Investing.com -- Amid concerns mounting regarding the deepening tensions between Russia and Ukraine, leading oil prices to soar to 7-year peaks on Monday, Dalal Street witnessed one of its worst days in the past year and extended losses to the second consecutive session.
Nifty plummeted 3% and recorded its worst day since Apr 12, 2021, closing lower than 100 points above the 200-displaced moving average. Sensex declined over 1,747 points.
NSE's India VIX or the fear gauge, soared over 21% on Monday.
Domestic investors lost wealth worth Rs 8.2 lakh crore on Dalal Street today, as the market capitalization of the companies listed on BSE reduced to Rs 255.7 lakh crore.
On the Nifty50 index, only TCS (NS: TCS ) ended in the green, up 0.93%, while all other stocks closed in red, led by JSW Steel (NS: JSTL ) and HDFC Life Insurance Company (NS: HDFL ), tumbling almost 6.5% each.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.