By Christiana Sciaudone
Analyst Philip Cusick lowered the rating to a sell-equivalent from neutral with a price target of $45, up from $38, StreetInsider reported.
"We believe Dish has the opportunity to disrupt the wireless ecosystem through its next-generation 5G network over the next several years, leveraging its MVNO with the New TMobile. However, we expect some near-term execution challenges," Cusick wrote in a note. "While the PayTV ecosystem remains pressured, Dish has posted solid results that we attribute to its disciplined acquisition and retention strategy."”
The company's unlikely to participate in any mergers or acquisitions in the near future, but a combination of Dish and AT&T Inc (NYSE:
)’s video operations over the next several years given the structural disadvantages for satellite video could be possible.
Cusick's is one of two sell ratings on the company, which also has four buys and four holds, according to data compiled by Investing.com.
Last month, Benchmark initiated coverage with a buy rating.
Analyst Matt Harrigan noted that the new network is more cost efficient as it does not have to support legacy 3G/4G infrastructure, StreetInsider reported.
Dish is collaborating with Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN ) Web Services and has access to its advanced cloud capabilities, making it able to offer superior data capacity with significantly better pricing compared to the Big Three U.S. wireless carriers, Harrigan wrote in a note.
"Beyond consumer mobile, Dish is especially well positioned to benefit from the nascent 5G enterprise wholesale business," Harrigan said.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.