Crisis-hit Sri Lanka to slash costs for I-Day celebrations
At a meeting with high-ranking officials and ministers, Wickremesinghe said the 75th Independence Day should be celebrated with pride, but maintaining minimum cost.
While pointing out that there is huge opposition among people regarding allocation of funds for the 75th Independence Day celebrations, the President emphasised that efforts should be made to minimise the related expenses, the President's Media Division (PMD) stated.
The President has advised the officials that it is their responsibility as well as that of the political authority to pay attention to the current financial situation of the country while estimating the expenses to be incurred for the Independence Day celebrations.
"We must celebrate the 75th Independence Day otherwise the world will say that we are not capable of celebrating even our Independence. Similarly, we need to attract tourists and investors to our country. We need to build a positive image of our country.
"Therefore, let us minimise our expenditure and celebrate our Day of Independence," the President told those present at the meeting, including Prime Minister Dinesh Gunawardena, ministry secretaries and other senior officials.
Wickremesinghe also announced that it has been planned to initiate a project to create urban forests in conjunction with the Independence Day celebrations.
"We expect to start the activities prior to attending the Climate Summit (COP28) in Dubai. In addition, we also expect to initiate several new institutions. Further, we have planned to establish the University on Climate Change, which will bring long-term benefits to the country," the President said.
"However, the treasury does not have enough funds to bear the full cost of these activities. Therefore, we will have to focus on other events only after allocating funds for the main activities," he emphasised.
Celebrating the February 4 anniversary of gaining Independence from the British, Sri Lanka had planned a number of special programmes, including religious ceremonies of all faiths, cultural show in Colombo, the main event at Galle Face Green, opening of the Jaffna Cultural Centre, the Kandy republic parade and the cycle race from the northern most tip to the southernmost tip of the island -- Dondra Point to Point Pedro.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or