By Michael Elkins
BMO Capital downgraded Bloomin' Brands (NASDAQ: BLMN ) to a Market Perform rating (from Outperform) and cut the price target on the stock to $26.00 (from $29.00). Recent strength in BLMN shares has coincided with accelerating BLMN/industry traffic data balancing the risk/reward and pushing BMO Capital to move to the sidelines.
However, analysts believe that it is prudent to be opportunistic given traffic improvements are likely unsustainable. They also remain concerned about broader consumer outlook and the risk to 2023 consensus margins.
Foot traffic at Outback Steakhouse accelerated from a 13% year-over-year decline in 4Q22 to 8% growth thus far in January, while Carrabba’s strengthened from a 12% decline in 4Q22 to 7% growth quarter-to-date. The recent strength reflects, in part, favorable weather and cycling the spread of the Omicron variant last year.
The analysts wrote in a note, “The recent traffic improvements likely are unsustainable, with trends likely to decelerate in the coming weeks, and our concerns about the consumer spending outlook remain unchanged. In addition, recent industry conversations suggest consensus 2023 restaurant margin forecasts likely are too optimistic as a starting point for at least some casual diners.”
FY23 EPS estimates were cut to $2.65 (from $2.78), below the consensus estimate of $2.73.
Shares of BLMN are down 2.18% in pre-market trading on Wednesday.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.