May 14 (Reuters) - ICE cotton futures fell 1 percent on Monday, on producer selling amid concerns of high world ending stocks excluding China.
* The most active ICE cotton contract for July expiry settled down 0.92 cent, or 1.09 percent, at 83.70 cents per lb.
* The contract traded within a range of 83.50 and 84.90 cents a lb.
* "There's not a lot of cotton left to sell on the July contract ... but we do think that we are seeing the debt contract that tends to bring some selling pressure," said Louis Rose, director of research and analytics at Tennessee-based Rose Commodity.
* "We saw that in the recent reports of farmers who are willing to sell up around 80-81.50 cents."
* Ending stocks outside of China are expected to rise for the third consecutive year, as per the World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates (WASDE) report released on Thursday. "Traders took profit ahead of the WASDE report and they may be waiting for a dip below the recent lows which was 83.50 to add some positions on, but we will still see a potential powder keg under this market with these mills still needing to fix about 5.5 million bales on July," Rose said.
* Market participants are keeping a close watch on rain in Texas, the major cotton-growing region in the United States.
* ICE cotton contract for December expiry fell 0.5 percent to 79.86 cents.
* A broad area of low pressure, moving slowly northward across the eastern Gulf of Mexico, has a 30 percent chance of strengthening into a tropical cyclone in the next 48 hours, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said on Monday. Total futures market volume fell by 6,840 to 23,229 lots. Data showed total open interest fell 2,217 to 283,507 contracts in the previous session.
* Certificated cotton stocks deliverable as of May 11 totaled 74,506 480-lb bales, up from 73,464 in the previous session.
Add a Comment
Are you sure you want to block %USER_NAME%?
By doing so, you and %USER_NAME% will not be able to see any of each other's Investing.com's posts.
%USER_NAME% was successfully added to your Block List
Since you’ve just unblocked this person, you must wait 48 hours before renewing the block.