SINGAPORE, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Asian refining margins for 10ppm gasoil eased on Monday as crude prices rose, while lack of strong seasonal demand for the industrial and transportation fuel kept the cash market at wide discounts.
Refining margins, also known as cracks, for gasoil with 10ppm sulphur content GO10SGCKMc1 slipped to $14.25 a barrel over Dubai crude during Asian trading hours, from $14.75 a barrel on Friday.
The margins have shed about 25 percent in the last four weeks, having touched a four-year peak of $18.92 a barrel on Nov. 15.
The middle distillates are not going as per expectations for winter demand, but they have not lost ground completely, trade sources said.
Typically, the fourth quarter is peak demand season for middle distillates, a group of oil products including diesel used in agriculture, industrial and power sectors.
"There's a bit of oversupply. Despite refinery maintenance and other issues, there was no shortage of diesel, so no imports were planned. We have sufficient product available within the country (in India) to match our requirements," a Mumbai-based trader said.
Meanwhile, about seven to nine long-range tankers carrying about 5 to 7 million barrels of diesel fuel are floating off Taiwan and Southeast Asian waters as a steep fall in oil prices meant buyers pulled back hoping for more declines, trade and shipping sources said on Friday. differentials for 10ppm gasoil GO10-SIN-DIF were at a discount of 60 cents a barrel to Singapore quotes on Monday.
They were at a discount of 65 cents a barrel on Friday, their weakest on record since Singapore's benchmark gasoil was shifted to 10ppm gasoil in January this year from 500ppm gasoil previously.
Gasoil cash differentials are also taking a beating as the prompt-month spread remains in contango.
In a contango market structure, prompt prices are lower than those for future delivery, which tends to encourage holders of physical barrels to store the product and sell it later to secure higher prices.
Cash discounts for jet fuel JET-SIN-DIF were at $1.06 a barrel to Singapore quotes on Monday, as against a discount of $1.10 a barrel on Friday.
Jet cracks JETSGCKMc1 fell to $15.54 a barrel over Dubai crude on Monday, from $16.03 a barrel in the previous session.
SINGAPORE CASH DEALS
- One gasoil deal, no jet fuel trades.
- Singapore trader Hin Leong sold 150,000 barrels of 10ppm gasoil to Gunvor for Dec. 25-29 loading at a discount of 50 cents a barrel to the balance of December Singapore quotes.
- For more information, please click O/AS
- Brent crude oil futures rose on Monday after producer club OPEC and some non-affiliated suppliers last Friday agreed to a supply cut from January. Despite this, the price outlook for next year remains muted on the back of an economic slowdown. O/R
- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday a decision by OPEC and other oil producers on Friday to cut output was a rebuff for a U.S. "policy of meddling", the state news agency IRNA reported. OPEC and its Russia-led allies agreed on Friday to slash oil production by more than the market had expected despite pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump to reduce the price of crude. The key concept in the wake of the decision to reduce crude oil output by OPEC and its allies is "balance". It's something everybody in the market says they want, but they all have different ideas of what it means and how to get there. MID-DISTILLATES
Change % Change
Prev Close RIC Spot Gas Oil 0.5%
69.13 GO-SIN GO 0.5 Diff
-3.10 GO-SIN-DIF Spot Gas Oil 0.25%
70.23 GO25-SIN GO 0.25 Diff
-2.00 GO25-SIN-DIF Spot Gas Oil 0.05%
70.91 GO005-SIN GO 0.05 Diff
-1.32 GO005-SIN-DIF Spot Gas Oil 0.001%
71.58 GO10-SIN GO 0.001 Diff
-0.65 GO10-SIN-DIF Spot Jet/Kero
72.23 JET-SIN Jet/Kero Diff
For a list of derivatives prices, including margins, please double
click the RICs below.
Jet Cracks M1
Jet Cracks M2
Crack LGO-Brent M1
Crack LGO-Brent M2
Add a Comment
Are you sure you want to block %USER_NAME%?
By doing so, you and %USER_NAME% will not be able to see any of each other's Investing.com's posts.
%USER_NAME% was successfully added to your Block List
Since you’ve just unblocked this person, you must wait 48 hours before renewing the block.