By Aditya Raghunath
Investing.com -- Data from the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE) shows that more urban men than women lost jobs in the second wave of the pandemic in India.
Mahesh Vyas, CMIE MD and CEO, in his analysis said, “The burden of job losses has shifted to men. During the April-June 2021 quarter, a disproportionately higher loss of jobs was incurred among urban males. Urban males account for about 28% of the total employment in India. They accounted for a lower 26% of the loss of jobs till March 2021. But, in the quarter ended June 2021 their share in total job losses was higher at 30%.”
In the first pandemic wave, urban women accounted for 3% of total employment but they accounted for 39% of total job losses. From 6.3 million jobs lost, urban women lost 2.4 million.
He said that urban male jobs arguably have better quality jobs and their disproportionate loss could imply a greater fall in income than witnessed so far. “It is also likely that women are often the second earning member of a household. The loss of jobs among women more often than not implies a fall in income but not a complete loss of income. But, a loss of job among men often implies complete loss of livelihood. This greater loss of urban male jobs is worrisome,” he said.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Get Free bitcoin, without investing anything, download PI network and bee 🐝 app from play store or app store. Its the future currency, moving at a very high speed. User code nasirdarjiLike 0
Good morning, Absolutely right this is the failure of policy makers,even. not giving attention towards mankind's ness.Like 3