At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite fell 1.54% to hit a new 52-week low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Tilray Inc (TSX: TLRY ), which rose 16.07% or 0.67 points to trade at 4.84 at the close. Aurora Cannabis Inc (TSX: ACB ) added 14.12% or 0.24 points to end at 1.94 and Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Inc . (TSX: RBA ) was up 11.79% or 9.23 points to 87.54 in late trade.
Biggest losers included First Quantum Minerals Ltd . (TSX: FM ), which lost 8.21% or 1.78 points to trade at 19.91 in late trade. Capstone Mining Corp (TSX: CS ) declined 6.83% or 0.17 points to end at 2.32 and Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. (TSX: IVN ) shed 6.41% or 0.45 points to 6.57.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 739 to 275 and 76 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 0.70% to 20.11.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 1.55% or 26.90 to $1,708.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.11% or 0.11 to hit $96.41 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.22% or 0.22 to trade at $99.79 a barrel.
CAD/USD was down 0.99% to 0.76, while CAD/EUR unchanged 0.51% to 0.76.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.70% at 108.51.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.