Canada shares higher at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite up 0.90%
Investing.com – Canada equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Materials , Financials and IT sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite added 0.90%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were BlackBerry Ltd (TSX: BB ), which rose 35.42% or 2.71 points to trade at 10.36 at the close. Torex Gold Resources Inc (TSX: TXG ) added 9.71% or 1.74 points to end at 19.66 and Osisko Mining Corp (TSX: OSK ) was up 9.50% or 0.34 points to 3.92 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Aurora Cannabis Inc (TSX: ACB ), which lost 11.93% or 1.820 points to trade at 13.430 in late trade. Aphria Inc (TSX: APHA ) declined 7.20% or 0.785 points to end at 10.125 and Cronos Group Inc (TSX: CRON ) shed 6.92% or 0.81 points to 10.90.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 688 to 375 and 88 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was unchanged 0% to 11.27.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 2.05% or 36.50 to $1817.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 1.94% or 0.88 to hit $44.46 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 1.09% or 0.52 to trade at $47.36 a barrel.
CAD/USD was up 0.51% to 0.7729, while CAD/EUR fell 0.46% to 0.6415.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.61% at 91.295.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or