Canada shares higher at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite up 0.07%
Investing.com – Canada equities were higher at the close on Friday, as gains in the IT , Energy and Clean Technology sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite gained 0.07% to hit a new 6-month high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Lightspeed Commerce Inc (TSX: LSPD ), which rose 6.86% or 1.57 points to trade at 24.44 at the close. Athabasca Oil Corp (TSX: ATH ) added 6.75% or 0.17 points to end at 2.69 and Canopy Growth Corp (TSX: WEED ) was up 5.71% or 0.21 points to 3.89 in late trade.
Biggest losers included MAG Silver Corp (TSX: MAG ), which lost 5.80% or 1.13 points to trade at 18.36 in late trade. Fortuna Silver Mines Inc (TSX: FVI ) declined 5.57% or 0.31 points to end at 5.26 and Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. (TSX: IVN ) shed 4.68% or 0.58 points to 11.82.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 574 to 414 and 110 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 1.22% to 14.14.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.09% or 1.75 to $1,928.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.93% or 1.56 to hit $79.45 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 1.19% or 1.04 to trade at $86.43 a barrel.
CAD/USD was unchanged 0.10% to 0.75, while CAD/EUR unchanged 0.33% to 0.69.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.08% at 101.72.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or