(Adds strategist quote and details throughout; updates prices)
* Loonie trades in a range of 1.2472 to 1.2534.
* Price of U.S. oil settles 0.1% higher
* Canadian 10-year yield was nearly unchanged at 1.522%
By Fergal Smith
TORONTO, April 22 (Reuters) - The Canadian dollar was little changed against its U.S. counterpart on Thursday as a decline in risk appetite was offset by the Bank of Canada's more hawkish stance, with the currency holding on to its gains from the prior day.
The loonie CAD= was trading nearly unchanged at 1.2500 to the greenback, or 80.00 U.S. cents, having traded in a range of 1.2472 to 1.2534.
It was one of only three G10 currencies to keep pace with the U.S. dollar as U.S. stocks dived on reports that President Joe Biden planned to propose nearly doubling the capital gains tax. others were the Swiss franc CHF and the Japanese yen JPY= , which are both renowned safe-haven currencies.
"The BoC's relatively hawkish move yesterday may have moved USD-CAD's trading band down a notch," said Ronald Simpson, managing director, global currency analysis at Action Economics, adding that the shift in yield spreads has supported the loonie.
The gap between Canada's 10-year yield and its U.S. equivalent has declined to just 3 basis points in favor of the U.S. bond from 19 basis points at the start of the month.
On Wednesday, the Canadian dollar touched its strongest intraday level in one month at 1.2455 after the Bank of Canada signaled it could start hiking interest rates in late 2022. The central bank sharply boosted its outlook for the Canadian economy and cut the pace of bond purchases to C$3 billion a week from C$4 billion. would advise penciling in a further taper (of bond buying) at the July MPR meeting," Derek Holt, vice president of capital markets economics at Scotiabank, said in a note, referring to the bank's monetary policy report.
The price of oil CLc1 , one of Canada's major exports, settled 0.1% higher at $61.43 a barrel. 10-year yield was little changed at 1.522%.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.