By Aditya Raghunath
Investing.com -- UK’s Cairn Energy has filed a case against Air India, India’s national airline, to enforce a $1.2 billion arbitration award that it won in a tax dispute against India, according to a US District Court filing reviewed by Reuters.
Cairn has said that Air India, which is completely owned by the Indian government, is "legally indistinct from the state itself.”
“The nominal distinction between India and Air India is illusory and serves only to aid India in improperly shielding its assets from creditors like (Cairn),” the filing said.
Cairn filed this suit on Friday in the US District Court for the Southern (NYSE: SO ) District of New York and claims that Air India is liable in case the Indian government is not willing to pay the $1.2 billion. This included the principal amount since 2014 and interest that has been compounding semi-annually.
Media outlets have been reporting on how Cairn Energy has been sending out signals that it would go after India’s national assets on foreign lands. Investing.com had reported this in December 2020 and February 2021.
In May, Investing.com had reported how senior public sector bank chiefs had been advised by the government that there is a possibility of Cairn attaching funds, and has asked banks to keep the government informed.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
what is issue. hoe Cairn energy won the case. Pl adviseLike 0
British Govt owns india 45 Trillion Dollar of money it looted from India and from its reaources for over 200 years during its reign. They can deduct 1.2 billion dollar and return the rest to India, however theirs interest imposed to it but India has a heart to let it go.Like 1
"Vikas ho raha hai..!!" GooD information. Nice article. 👌Like 1