Bulls Take Charge: Sensex Jumps 664 Pts, Reliance Leads Gains
By Malvika Gurung
Investing.com -- Indian equity benchmark indices made a strong opening to the last day of the financial year 2022-23, tracking positive cues from global markets as Asian peers jumped following an overnight upswing on Wall Street, and investors omitted concerns of further banking turmoil.
At 2:12 pm, Headlines Nifty50 surged 1.1% to 17,267 points and Sensex rallied 663.72 points or 1.15% at the time of writing.
The market fear barometer India VIX plunged 11.4% in the session and slumped 5.5% to 12.8 levels while writing.
Gains on Dalal Street were led by a strong upswing in the market behemoth Reliance Industries (NS: RELI ), along with a sharp uptick across metal, IT and bank stocks.
Heavyweights Reliance, ICICI Bank (NS: ICBK ), ONGC (NS: ONGC ), Tata Motors (NS: TAMO ), Adani Enterprises (NS: ADEL ), Hindalco (NS: HALC ), Nestle (NS: NEST ) India and HCL Tech (NS: HCLT ) led the rally on the Nifty pack, while pharma majors Sun Pharmaceuticals (NS: SUN ) and Apollo Hospitals (NS: APLH ) exerted the most pressure on the benchmark.
Besides Nifty Pharma and Nifty Healthcare, all sectoral indices under the Nifty umbrella traded in the green, led by a 2% jump in Nifty Oil & Gas, followed by Nifty Metal and Nifty Private Bank . Nifty Bank surged 1.3% and Nifty IT jumped 1.22%.
Key US contracts Dow Futures advanced 0.17% and Nasdaq 100 Futures rose 0.35%.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Who is bull malvika. DII or Indian retail trader.. because FII keep selling onlyLike 1
Who is bull malvika. DaiI or Indian retail trader.. because FII keep selling onlyLike 0
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or