By Malvika Gurung
Investing.com -- Indian equity benchmark indices ended the volatile week on a positive note, rallying up to 3% and logging their biggest single-day gains in more than three months.
The domestic market followed global cues, especially the strong gains witnessed in Asian markets and US equity futures. Further, the market heavyweight Reliance Industries (NS: RELI ) jumped over 6% in the session, registering its biggest gain in 18 months. Its surge led to a 142 points surge in the index.
Nifty50 ended the session 2.89% higher and Sensex jumped 1,534.16 points or 2.91%, as global markets gained, especially the Asian markets. Moreover, China’s central bank cut a key interest rate from 4.6% to 4.45%, cheering investors, in an attempt to support growth.
‘Today's gains marked the market’s latest attempt at a recovery following weeks of steep losses’, stated an ET report.
All sectoral indices listed under the Nifty basket ended the session in the green, led by realty, pharmaceutical and PSU bank stocks. Nifty Realty rallied 4.21%, while Nifty Bank ended 2.88% higher.
“Today's gains marked the market’s latest attempt at recovery following weeks of steep losses. With concerns over an economic slowdown and rate hikes across the globe, investors will continue to invest with caution,” stated Vinod Nair of Geojit Financial Services.
On the Nifty50 index, only two stocks ended in red, UPL (NS: UPLL ) and Shree Cements (NS: SHCM ), while Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories (NS: REDY ) zoomed almost 8% and Reliance Industries (NS: RELI ) surged 8%.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.