Moscow, Oct 2 (IANS) The BRICS countries are working on establishing a new reserve currency to better serve their economic interests, Ambassador at Large of Russia's Foreign Ministry Pavel Knyazev said.
It will be based on a basket of the currencies of the five-nation bloc, RT reported.
"The possibility and prospects of setting up a common single currency based on a basket of currencies of the BRICS countries is being discussed," Knyazev said during a discussion about expanding BRICS and the Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
According to the diplomat, member states are "actively studying mechanisms" to exchange financial information to develop a reliable alternative for international payments.
In an effort to reduce reliance on the dollar and euro, BRICS is set to build a joint financial infrastructure that will enable a reserve currency to be created.
The group, which comprises Brazil, Russia India, China, and South Africa, has been boosting economic ties, with trade turnover steadily growing despite restrictions brought on by the pandemic and conflict in Ukraine, RT reported.
BRICS had previously said it was working on establishing a joint payment network to cut reliance on the Western financial system. The member countries have also been increasing the use of local currencies in mutual trade.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
It will be better that BRICS country should have their own currency like Euro. It may be 🐅 Tiger. And the conversion of it in initial stage should be on the basis of Gold Price of each currency later it can be developed further critaria.Like 1
For how long Dollar without asset can govern the world ?Like 0
Hat’s Off to BRICS. We are going to have Wonderful Future with a Real Reserve Currency(👍) in International business.Like 1