By Sam Boughedda
Investing.com — U.K.-based biopharmaceutical firm Autolus Therapeutics Ltd (NASDAQ: AUTL ) announced Monday that Blackstone (NYSE: BX ) will invest as much as $250 million in the company to support Autolus' advancement of its drug to treat a serious form of leukemia.
Autolus shares rose 28% above Friday's close at $7.15.
The product candidate is a potential treatment for a serious form of leukemia.
The investment represents one of the largest private financings of a U.K. biotech company and makes Blackstone one of the most prominent foreign investors in the U.K. in the past 10 years. Out of the money invested, $150 million will go directly into product financing, with a further $50 million paid once the transaction is closed and the remainder of the total amount payable based on development and regulatory achievements.
Blackstone has additionally agreed to purchase $100 million of Autolus' American Depositary Shares in a private placement.
"Autolus is a world-class company with an innovative platform and the potential to deliver best-in-class, lifesaving treatments to patients suffering from cancer," said Dr. Nicholas Galakatos, global head of Blackstone Life Sciences.
"Our investment in these next generation cell therapies exemplify our conviction in the quality and promise of the life sciences sector in the U.K. We look forward to building on this investment in the years to come," he added.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.