By Aditya Raghunath
Investing.com -- For all the talk of big names and financial institutions buying Bitcoin in the second half of 2020 and early 2021, the flagship cryptocurrency remains volatile. Bitcoin has fallen 11.71% to $50,106 as of this report from $56,755 on May 11.
This sharp fall is due to Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) and SpaceX Founder Elon Musk’s decision to not accept Bitcoin as payment for Tesla cars as he tweeted a graph of the cryptocurrency’s energy consumption and said “Energy usage trend over past few months is insane.”
On May 12, he had said that Tesla would stop accepting Bitcoin as payment because the cost to the environment was too high. Bitcoin had fallen over 17%, to less than $49,000 on Thursday, before regaining some ground today morning.
However, Musk has said that Tesla will not sell any of the Bitcoin on its balance sheet, and will use the cryptocurrency when mining it is possible through sustainable resources.
Musk’s comments on and Tesla’s purchase of Bitcoin have played a major role in taking Bitcoin from $28,990 at the end of 2020 to over $63,000 in April 2021. In February, Tesla said that it had bought $1.5 billion of Bitcoin. In April, it said that it had sold 10% of its holding, for a profit of $100 million.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Wow, poor guy. Elon Musk did not know about the power consumption that goes into mining bitcoins! Poor guy, don’t blame him because nobody told him!Like 1
Elen mask is creat panic he will now buy bitcon at lower price and then after few days he will again say positive news on bitcon and then again bitcoin will jump up that time he will exit with the big profit he is manupuling marketLike 3
Musk just shared what cambridge univeraity research department of USA found out.!!Like 0